Saturday, September 3, 2011

Oops, Itches, and Ouch

I work in the very bowels of hell. I am doing an optometric rotation in my fourth and final year of optometry school so i can't really quit. But that place sucks the very soul and desire to live from every cell in my body. So, when i got home yesterday from work i needed a quick nap. I managed to sweet talk myself from a 10 minute nap in to a 2 hour nap! I was so groggy that i couldn't run and pretty much just laid around like a blob until 1 in the morning when i went back to sleep.
HOWEVER, this morning i woke up earlier than i thought i would have after messing with my sleeping schedule so much and so i decided to get my run in early. I don't know if this happens to every one, or maybe just me, but whenever i have gone a long time without running and then i start running again my whole body itches! Like all over!! Maybe its dry skin? I don't really know, but it sucks and i have to stop running and scratch like crazy until I'm bleeding!! After consistent running for a few days my body adjusts and it doesn't happen anymore though. I HATE IT! So i am going through that phase right now.
Finally to the ouch. So my running shoes suck. I really want those vibram 5 fingers, but until then i have two choices. Run in my sucky shoes or go barefoot. I started off with my shoes and noticed that my feet were very uncomfortable. I ran another whopping 2 times around the track, then i walked one, then ran another and i decided that on my final lap that i would run barefoot! Ahhh, the way nature intended. When i reached that point i flung off my shoes and starting jogging around the track NAKED!!! Well, naked feet anyway. First thing i noticed: holy crap this asphalt is made of broken glass!!! It was just pretty rough on my pads. Other than that though, it felt AMAZING! It was exhilarating to be running in bare feet because i felt just like a kid and my feet didn't feel uncomfortable like they did when in the shoes and once i hit a part of the trail that was smoother concrete it felt even better!!! A few more times around the asphalt part and my feet should be much tougher and i should be able to run longer without those ridiculous clod-hoppers i call running shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment